2014 3CR General Planning and Information
Come with a determined attitude to finish, and a reliable bicycle. The organizers will endeavor to provide roving sag support during the 3CR, but in general, you will be on your own much of the time. If you quit, you are responsible for getting yourself off the course.
There are numerous stores and cafés at useful intervals long the route, except during the "outback" section along Highway 25 on Day One, the coastal section south of Big Sur on Day Two, and the Foxen Canyon section on Day Three. It is strongly recommended riders have a way to carry some extra water, such as in a Camelbak or with an extra bottle carried in the saddlebag or panniers; two frame bottles may not be enough in a few sections of the route during the afternoon.
Drop Bag Service:
Included in the price of the entry is transportation of riders' drop bags from the start to King City and the finish in San Luis Obispo. Drop bags cannot weigh more than 20 pounds; any bags that are heavier will not be accepted. Your bags will be weighed before they are accepted for loading. Three bags are allowed per rider.
- No bike cases, spare bikes or wheels will be transported for riders from the start to the finish.
- All bags must have a sturdy, large nametag or name directly inked on the bag so that the last name of the owner is easily recognized from a distance. (Riders should also put another nametag inside the bag in case the regular nametag gets torn off during transportation.) Be sure to pack light and don't bring any breakable glass containers with fluids inside. Any unclaimed bags after the event is completed will be returned to the owner at their expense.
- Though we don't envision any problems with bag drop security, the organizers cannot be responsible for any loss or theft of drop bags or their contents; please don't bring anything that cannot be replaced, such as your treasured LEL or GRR finisher's jersey.
Before the Event
- Pre-Ride Local Bike Shops for Bicycle Assembly and/or Shipping Destinations:
Cupertino Bike Shop
10625 South Foothill Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
- Start Location: Click Here to book a room and long-term parking at a reduced group rate with the code "SCR" or phone them at 1 (321) 800 7707. Deadline for reserving at this rate is 7/21/2014.
Airport Garden Hotel
1740 N 1st Street
San Jose, CA 95112
Riders may make their own arrangements with the Airport Garden Hotel to store bike cases in the bell closet, based on availabilty. The hotel will be very willing to work with you on this. There are numerous other hotels in the area of the start hotel. This map of the Start Vicinity shows the start hotel, airport and train station.
During the Event
- King City (Bag Drop):
Super 8 (formerly Courtesy Inn)
4 Broadway Circle
King City, CA 93940
There are numerous other hotels in the area of the King City control
- San Luis Obispo (Bag Drop) and Finish Location:
Royal Oak Best Western
214 Madonna Rd.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405-5409
- Other Finish Location Lodgings:
- Madonna Inn
- Lower cost lodging about two flat miles from the SLO control; Riders can ride their bikes there and back:
- This map of the finish vicinity shows the finish hotel and the route to the train station.
- Local Bike Shops for Post-Ride Bicycle Disassembly and Shipping in SLO:
- Art's Cyclery
183 Suburban Rd.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Foothill Cyclery
767 Foothill Blvd STE B
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
Phone: (805) 541 4101
- Wally's Bicycle Works (recommended by former RBA, Kevin Main)
306 Higuera St
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Participants are encouraged to make their own room-sharing arrangements. Use the California Rando chat list if you are looking for a roommate.
There are 24-hour IHOP and/or Denny's restaurants near the start, and at the drop-bag hotels in King City and San Luis Obispo. The SLO control is located behind the Best Western Hotel and the IHOP. The SLO Denny's is a quick walk from the control, as is the Vagabond motel. In King City, the Denny's is a short bike ride from the drop bag hotel, or, for maximum efficiency, it can be accessed on your bike just before reaching the drop bag hotel/control.
After The Event:
There will be a 3CR celebration breakfast on Monday morning near the finish control.
- Art's Cyclery
- Drop bags will be transported from the Best Western parking lot to the San Luis Obispo Amtrak station at noon on Sunday (for 1000k riders in a hurry to get home) and noon on Monday (1000k and 1200k riders). We will also be offering bicycle transport back to the start location for a modest fee. Please visit Amtrak to purchase a ticket.